All right. As a teacher who works with students with social skills issues, I am always trying to explain “unwritten rules.”
And, as a blogger, I’ve discovered some unwritten rules for writing comments. These might not hold true for everyone, but I bet they hold true for most of us.
Here’s what I’ve discovered:
- First, write a comment. It doesn’t matter if you write a blog yourself, or if your blog is very big. Discussion is what makes it fun.
- Write a comment everyday, if you want. I used to worry that I commented too frequently. But, really, we all get stoked when we see there’s a new comment–especially if it’s from someone who is regularly joining in! So go for it!
- Go ahead and plug your blog….but there are some rules to follow:
- Say something relevant, please.
- If you’re linking to a post, make sure the post is relevant.
- Be sure to check out the blogs linked by the other commentors. This is networking–but not the networking you’re use to. This is the free sharing of ideas, not the acquisition of wealth.
And, finally, remember that most of us would prefer active discussion to a high readership. There aren’t many of you, but you all have something to say!