I’ve talked about the fun you can have dancing with your family. However, you will need a soundtrack. Here are some of our favorites:
1. “Happy and You Know It” by Go Fish. I first heard this at Beanie’s Musical Carousal class. The parents had as much fun “jumping around as if they didn’t care” as the kids did. Here is a video of Beanie grooving to this on our first day of the 2011 Moonraker cruise.
2. “Come on, Eileen” by Dexi’s Midnight Runners. OK, I just had to run downstairs to dance with Rob and Beanie to that song. An added bonus is that “Eileen” is Beanie’s great-grandma’s name, and a variant of Beanie’s name…
3. “Tiger Rag” by Les Paul and Mary Ford. We have this on record, and we were dancing to it in the living room when Beanie’s teachers arrived for their first home visit. Beanie frequently requests it…or starts it herself, since she can now wind and start the Victrola.
4. “Bubamara.” It is the international Gypsy anthem. We were really feeling that last summer, as we cruised with no home port and no destination. On a warm night, we all danced to it in the cockpit.
5. “Stray Cat Strut” Another Victrola favorite!
6. “Rock Lobster” by the B52’s. Rob actually sustained a neck injury dancing to this…
7. “Sing, Sing, Sing With a Swing.” by Benny Goodman. A good classic.
8. “In the Mood” by Glenn Miller. A great clarinet song. And Glenn Miller is an interesting person to look up. Google him!
9. “Walk Like an Egyptian” by the Bangles. Lots of fun!
10. “Rock Me” by Abba. Actually, anything by Abba is great. They are fun, and have a great beat. Enjoy!