Hospital Story #2

Yesterday I told you about Beanie’s first hospital stay. Her second came the following March, as we were weaning her off of her reflux medications (she was not able to be weaned off at that time, by the way–we didn’t have success with that until we started eating a low-glycemic diet).

There was an awful, multi-day stomach bug going around, and I knew where we would end up if the Bean caught it. And sure enough she did. After a day of keeping nothing down, began to wonder if we should take her in. The on-call pediatrician couldn’t really give me an answer. But at 10 p.m., when she cried with no tears, we decided it was time.

A new company was staffing the ER, and they had installed flatscreen televisions, which amused us a bit. Not that we got to hang out for long. They got straight down to business, letting us know that Beanie would be getting an IV, before they had even run any tests. Beanie got a stomach x-ray, and we overheard a brawl taking place in the waiting room, while we were in radiology. (Security finally broke it up). They poked and prodded her, taking lots of blood for tests the pediatrician had ordered over the phone.

Finally, it was time to do the deed. This time around, I sat with her in the bed and held her while they put in the IV. Beanie kept removing it, so they had to use extra tape to make it inaccessible. She would not keep her bracelet on, so they taped it to the foot of her bed.

While her IV ran, the ER doctor said that they were waiting to hear back from the pediatrician, to give the okay for him to send us home. The okay didn’t come, however, and we were taken up to the pediatric ward once again.

Beanie was zonked, so she nursed to sleep, and I was able to lay her in the baby cage. Rob and I both slept in the regular bed. We were woken up in the morning, when KER-CHUNK!–the side of the crib went down for vital signs time. They still couldn’t let a sleeping baby lie.

I got her to fall back asleep, and Rob left the room in search of coffee. He overheard the nurses talking, “Oh, my, did you see her? She is SO CUTE!” Yeah, that’s my Bean. At shift change, I overheard the conversation–every kid there had GERD.

On her IV, the Bean felt pretty good. So we took a walk. With me pushing her IV pole, and her gown opening in the back to reveal her diaper, we did laps around the nurses’ station, where Rob kept the coffee pot going all day. Beanie loved the nurses, who constantly fussed over her. It was really a good time.

The doctor came in, and informed us that we would be staying another night, and probably going home after that. This came as a surprise, but made me feel better, knowing that they were watching her so closely.

I remember feeling a little off, as I went into work to get my lesson plans ready for the sub the next day. I brushed it off and enjoyed my hospital dinner, complete with apple pie.

An hour later, the apple pie came back up. Beanie had shared the love–and the germs–with me. I was constantly running to the bathroom, getting sick. Soon Rob was, as well. I wished that I could have an IV too.

Beanie and I didn’t sleep in the baby cage that night. We slept in the regular bed, and with nowhere else to go, Rob climbed into the crib. I was obviously miserable, so I’m glad nobody said anything about the Bean sleeping in the bed. Leaving me alone about it was probably in their best interest.

We all felt better the next day, and in the evening a volunteer showed up, with a tiny wheelchair. We were free to go! Beanie said her “good-bye’s” and we took our little buddy home.

P.S. It seems that the Bean just has a touch of the flu right now. She’s been relaxing and watching lots of cartoons.

4 thoughts on “Hospital Story #2

  1. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. My youngest had some issues for the first 4 or so years. Knock on wood, her immune system seems to have gotten stronger and she has done better the last couple of years. I hope the same happens for your little girlie.

    • She’s already doing a lot better. She’s recovering from the flu quickly, right now. I think being able to control her GERD without meds has helped more than anything else.

  2. Nothing is worse than being a sick mommy. While I hate being sick it’s so nice now to know that I can go back to bed if I want and have no responsibilities to anyone else that need to come first. Don’t get me wrong I loved raising my children, but being able to simply take care of myself now is such a treat.
    I didn’t realize GERD was so common. Do you have any idea why it’s so prevalent in children today? When I was young we had one child in the whole school with any allergies, he also had asthma and was the only one to have that as well. Today, the number of children with allergies, asthma and other medical needs has risen to such a large number, and how GERD. There has to be a reason for these increases.

    • Oh boy. And autism? They really don’t look into the *causes* of a lot of things. Grrr…
      I have a theory on GERD though. I think it’s processed foods. I think our VERY high glycemic diet (also responsible for the increase in diabetes) causes symptoms in certain people. The fact that a low-carb diet is 100% successful in eliminating GERD symptoms. But all this white flour, all this sugar, the HFCS, etc. Just glad we’ve got Beanie’s under control.

Join the Discussion

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s