This is my adaptation of my great-aunt Vaunda’s recipe. It is by far my favorite way to cook meat, and you’ll see that I used it in my meal plan for this week.
1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 lb. meat (cut into strips if not ground)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 green pepper, cut in strips
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
celery salt, pepper, and basil to taste
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp tamari
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1. In skillet, melt butter, add meat, sprinkle with garlic powder. Saute, stir occasionally until brown. Remove meat from skillet.
2. Cook onions and green peppers for 2 minutes.
3. Return meat to skillet along with tomatoes and seasonings. If using round steak, simmer 15-20 min.
4. Blend together tamari, water, salt, and honey. Add to mixure and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
5. Reduce heat and cook 2 more minutes.
6. Can be served over rice or noodles, or in tortillas. Can be served with cheese.