One of the perks of having a child in Head Start are the inexpensive, healthy recipes that come home in her bag. Most of these are Nubites from Nutrition Matters, Inc. I have yet to try one that hasn’t been absolutely delicious. Of course, I do end up modifying many of them to include more home made ingredients, eliminate white flour, and eliminate sugar (although the recipes are very low in white flour and sugar). This is a fun recipe that kids can help you make!
1. Start with whole wheat bread, or my basic pancakes.
2. Cut the bread or pancakes into the shapes of letters. Sometimes, Beanie likes to do numbers too. I have her tell me the letter or number, then I do the cutting.
3. Cover the letters with cheese slices. Any cheese will work, but I really like colby.
4. Cover with any pizza toppings you have on hand: onions, peppers, olives, etc.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.
6. Enjoy eating the alphabet!